Built for William N. Byers in 1883, the stately Italianate-style home reflected its owner’s standing in the community. Byers printed Denver’s first newspaper, the Rocky Mountain News, on April 23, 1859. As editor, Byers used his paper pulpit to promote Denver and the surrounding region.
Byers became close friends with John Evans, Colorado’s second territorial governor. These men - along with their wives Elizabeth Byers and Margaret Evans - played pivotal roles in Denver’s early growth by helping to establish religious, educational, legal, and social institutions.
William G. Evans, the oldest son of former governor John Evans, bought the home in 1889. William and his wife Cornelia moved in with their two young children, John and Josephine. During the next five years, daughters Margaret and Katharine were born. An important business and civic leader in his own right, William headed the Denver Tramway Company and helped develop the Moffat Tunnel. Piercing the Continental Divide, the 6.2 mile tunnel culminated efforts to link Denver to Colorado’s western slope and solidified the city’s place as the region’s commercial hub.